Themes in the Gospels:
- The glory of Christ
- Christ as fulfillment of God’s redemptive plan
- The costly call to discipleship
- The Lordship of Christ
- The teaching of the Master
- The sending of the disciples and the great commission
- The in-breaking of God’s kingdom
- Christ’s death and resurrection for His followers
- Personal response to Christ for forgiveness and new life
Key Gospel Theme Discussion and Study Questions
- Does this passage teach us anything about Christ as the fulfillment of God’s plan?
- Does it connect to any themes or Scriptures from the Old Testament?
- Does this passage give a costly calling to discipleship? If so, describe it in your own words.
- Does this passage give us teaching from Jesus? If so, what is His central concern, and how can we best respond to it?
- Does this passage show us anything about Jesus’ sending of His disciples? If so, how does this challenge or encourage you in your own evangelism?
- Does this passage teach us about the kingdom of God (either in its coming fullness one day, or its present spiritual application)?
- Does this passage teach or allude to the death and resurrection of Christ? If so, what details do you learn, and what significance do they have for understanding Christ’s work on your behalf?
- Does this passage call for a personal response to Christ? If so, what kind of response does it seek? Have you responded to Christ in this way?