The Gospel and Family part 1
Scripture: Ephesians 6:1–6:4
HOME GROUP DISCUSSION
- Paul begins chapter six in Ephesians by encouraging children to honor the authority of their parents. Our culture often makes defying authority seem wise and attractive - even in popular movies aimed at our children. Where does authority come from? Would you say authority is good for people or bad for people? Do you know of anyone who is not under some kind of authority?
- While it certainly helps them remain safe and learn and grow, what is the most important reason children should obey their parents? (Hint: Colossians 3:20.)
- What is unique about the role and responsibilities of fathers?
- What are some ways that fathers can provoke their children? What does this lead to? (Hint: Colossians 3:21.)
- What does it mean for fathers to bring children up in discipline? Is discipline synonymous with punishment? What is the goal of discipline?