People of Light part 1
Scripture: Matthew 5:1–5:16
HOME GROUP DISCUSSION
- The word "blessed" is used over and over at the start of Matthew 5 - what does this word mean? We usually think of each beatitude individually, but taken together, what does the sum of the beatitudes add up to? If you could look at your life in a time-lapsed way, would you find evidence of the beatitudes in it?
- Read John 15:5. How would you describe what being "poor in spirit" means?
- What does "meek" mean? Who is the best example of being meek that you can think of?
- Does "mourn" only refer to our time of grief after the passing of a loved one? What else could it refer to?
- Does "pure in heart" suggest we should be pure and perfect? (Read Psalm 86:11) How does this contrast with people who want to be seen as outwardly religious?
- If "mercy" and "peace" should also be taken in their broadest sense, how would you describe them? What is the greatest act of mercy ever? What did the angels who announced Christ's birth mean by "peace?"
- Is there a cost to following Jesus? Are you prepared to pay the cost?