Scripture: Matthew 18:1–18:35
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION
- In Matthew chapter 18, Jesus very purposefully begins by using a child as an example. What qualities of a child do you think Jesus was trying to point out? Why do you think he specifically mentions humility in verse 4, and even attaches "the greatest in the kingdom of heaven" to it?
- When Jesus talks about "little ones" in verse 6, who do you think he is talking about? (Compare it to Matthew 10:40-42) Why is it important that we understand who he is talking about?
- What did Jesus mean when he said, "but woe to the one by whom the temptation comes" in verse 7? What are ways that someone can lead those who want to follow Christ away from Christ?
- How is God described in verses 12-14? Is there a relationship between these verses and verses 15-20? If verses 15-20 describe HOW God goes about accomplishing verses 12-14, does it help you understand the meaning of verses 18-20?
- How does the parable of forgiveness Jesus teaches in verses 21-35 relate to the first half of the chapter (verses 1-20)? How do we see the gospel illustrated in this story?