The Generosity of God
Passage: Matthew 19:16–20:16
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION
- On the surface, Peter's question to Jesus in Matthew 19:27 seems selfish. How did Jesus respond to it?
- Can you think of places in Scripture besides this passage that point to God's generosity?
- Was Christ talking to only his 12 disciples when he talks about being responsible for judgment in Matthew 19:28, or is it possible that he was talking about all his followers through all time? (See 1 Corinthians 6:1-3; Revelation 2:25-27; Revelation 3:21; and Revelation 22:4)
- What is the underlying gospel promise or implication when Jesus talks about having to lose brothers and sisters, fathers and mothers, or children or lands for his sake in Matthew 19:29?
- What is the concept Jesus is getting at in the parable found in Matthew 20:1-15? (hint: look at the verses just before and after....) How is this concept revealed in the anger of the workes in verse 15?