Scripture: Romans 13:1–13:7
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION
- What is authority? Where does it come from? Can you think of examples of authority from Scripture?
- Do you find it hard to submit to authority? In what ways can you speak to this as:
- believers in God and Christ
- members of a Christian church
- husbands and wives
- citizens of a nation or state
- What does Romans 13:2-4 say the purpose of civil authority is? Why do we submit to it? (hint: conscience) How does this passage relate to 1 Peter 2:13-15?
- Why would we ever NOT submit to civil authorities? (hint: conscience) Do civil authorities define good and evil? Who does?
- Does the wrath of rulers always represent the wrath of God? If a brother or sister in the Lord comes to a different position regarding submitting to civil authority than you do, how should you handle that? What motives are we looking for?