ITC Confessions: Of the Spirit
Passage: Romans 8:1–27
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION
- In John 16:4-7, Jesus said it would be better for his followers when he was gone. Why? Do you feel like having the Spirit is better than haveing Christ here?
- Read John 14:16-17. How do we know that the Holy Spirit is divine, a part of the trinity of God? Why is this important?
- What does the fact that the Holy Spirit is a person (and not a "force" or an "it") mean to you?
- In Romans 8:9, we learn that the Spirit indwells us. Read and discuss 1 Corinthians 3:16.
- In Romans 8:10-11, we learn that the Spirit gives us life. If our body is still dying, what kind of life is this? Read John 3:5-6 and talk about what it means to be born again.
- In Romans 8:13-14, we learn that the Spirit leads us. How do we know we are being led by the Spirit? (Read Galatians 5:16)
- In Romans 8:15-17, we learn that the Spirit assures us of being adopted as children. Read Galatians 4:4-7. Have you ever felt the intimacy of being a child of God?
- What does Paul mean by "firstfruits" in Romans 8:23?
- In Romans 8:26-27, we learn that the Spirit intercedes for us. How is the Spirit advocating for you in your life?