Scripture: Philippians 3:2–3:9
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION
- What are the origins of circumcision? Why was this important for the people of God in the Old Testament?
- Read Ephesians 2:11-19 and Galatians 3:25-29. What does Paul say in these verses about what distinguishes the people of God under the new covenant? What is the "true" circumcision?
- In Philippians 3:3, what does the word "worship" mean? What does "worship" mean to you? Is it more than music?
- Again, in Philippians 3:3, how is the word "glory" used differently than the way we usually think of glory? If in this case it means "to boast" or "to put our conficence in," how do Galatians 6:14 and Ephesians 2:8-9 relate to this?
- Read Galatians 5:2-6. What does Paul have to say about putting our confidence in our good works to earn our standing before God? What does that result in? What would confidence in the flesh look like in your life?