ITC Confessions: Of Election
Scripture: Ephesians 1:3–1:14
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION
- From Scripture, what is meant by election? What does Ephesians 1:3-14 say about when God had us in mind? How does election involve a choice? Read 1 Peter 2:9 and Colossians 3:12. Whose choice is it? From Romans 9:10-16, does this choice seem dependent on those who are chosen?
- Read Romans 11:33-36 and Acts 13:48. Does Scripture seem to say God chooses us because we chose him, or do we choose God because he chose us?
- What are those who are chosen elected to? (hint: Ephesians 1:3-5) What do you think "every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places" means? Why is "adoption as sons through Jesus Christ" important?
- If we have been chosen by God, can anyone or anything un-choose us? What about ourselves?
- Does the clear biblical principle of belief negate election? Does election negate the need for belief? How would you explain this?