Exodus 1 and 2
Passage: Exodus 1:1–2:25
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION
- Going back to Genesis, how did God's people end up being in Egypt? In what ways were they doing well there? In what ways were things going wrong there?
- Is Pharaoh fighting against God's people, or God himself? In what ways did he try to control God by controlling God's people? What did God think of this?
- Why is the fear of the Lord shown by the Hebrew midwives in Exodus 1:17 (and also in the mother of Moses) important historically? Why is the fear of the Lord important spiritually?
- How are God's people doing at the end of the second chapter of Exodus? What is God's response in Exodus 2:24? What does "God remembered" mean?
- Why is the story of God's people in Exodus important to us today? If we are God's people, can we accomplish God's purposes if we are enslaved? What kinds of things can enslave us today? What has God done that frees us?