The Gospel and the Flesh
Scripture: Galatians 5:16–5:26
HOME GROUP DISCUSSION
- When in our lives does God give us the gift of the Holy Spirit? Why?
- In Galatians 5:16-24, Paul uses the phrase "the flesh" many times. What does he mean by that? If "the flesh" is the part of us that does not love and treasure God above all other things, is it then erased from our lives when we turn to Christ? What evidence do you see of this in your own life?
- Before we were saved by grace through faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ, what did the flesh inside of us want to do with God's laws? Now that we have been saved by grace through faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ, what does the flesh inside of us want to do? Is evidence of a struggle between the flesh and the Spirit in our lives an indication of living wrongly? Why or why not?
- Paul tells us to "walk by the Spirit" and "keep in step with the Spirit." What does he mean by this? In Ephesians 3:14-19, we learn what happens when we walk in the Spirit. Do you see this in your own life?
- As we strive to keep step with the Spirit, are we meant to do that alone? What has God given us to make it easier to win our struggle with the flesh and walk by the Spirit?