The Gospel and Suffering
Scripture: Romans 8:16–8:30
HOME GROUP DISCUSSION
- Is suffering in our lives an indication of God's continued wrath upon us? From what Romans 8:17 says, what should followers of Christ expect to see in their lives regarding suffering?
- Bob suggested that suffering can cloud our vision and confuse our orientation, much like a pilot flying through a storm with no visibility. Have you found this to be true in your own times of suffering, or seen it happen in others? What are the truths we must rely on as a pilot relies on his or her instruments?
- Paul describes God's purpose for our lives in Romans 8:29. Where does suffering fit into this? Has there been a time in your life when suffering helped you to be more conformed to the image of his Son?
- Romans 8:30 tells us that the gospel of Jesus Christ has justified us before God, and that our eventual glorification is as good as done. How does this gospel knowledge help us cope with suffering in this present time?
- What can we do for those around us we see suffering?