Keys of the Kingdom part 2
Scripture: Matthew 18:15–18:20
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION
- The purpose of church discipline is found at the end of verse 15 of Matthew 18. What does Jesus mean when he says "gained your brother?"(read 1 Corinthians 5:4-5) How can this purpose help us overcome the unease and difficulty of confronting someone with godly truth? Does this verse mean we need to be personally sinned against to go speak the truth to someone in love? (read Galatians 6:1) What kind of listening is Jesus talking about in verse 15?
- From what Jesus says here in Matthew 18:18 and said earlier in Matthew 16:15-19, what does it mean to "bind" or "loose," and who is responsible for this process? Why do you think God has put this into the hands of the local church?
- How could a person leave a church wrongly? Have you ever seen or experienced this in your life? What is Christ saying is the duty of his church when this happens? How can it be like the example of a handshake that Kyle used?
- What do verses 18-20 imply about God's involvement in this process? Is he waiting for you to do something so he can give it a stamp of approval? Or is it possible that the faithful action of the church is carrying out what God is already doing?
- Why did Kyle suggest that people misuse or misapply Matthew 18:20? What do you think?